"Unadulterated" popcorn has to be one of the healthiest snacks we could consume. Here are some of the nutritional facts:
• This whole grain contains over 40 nutrients including all the B complex vitamins, vitamin E, riboflavin and thiamine
• It is high in fibre and contains heart-protecting phytonutrients
• Has more protein than many other grains, excluding quinoa
• Has more iron than eggs, roast beef or spinach
• Contains only 30 calories per cup
Sound pretty good? Yes, if you have it air popped with nothing on it. But few of us consume popcorn in that way. The trend is to devour a large bag at the movie theatre with butter and additional seasonings. Now watch the calories, fat and sodium go through the roof! Are you sitting down?